Monday, December 19, 2016

25 Days God Given Gifts - Day 19 - BLESSINGS

Day 19 ~ Unwrapping the Gift of:

BLESSINGS



But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in him.

Jeremiah 17:7
One of the definitions of blessings is defined as: 
A favor or gift bestowed by God, thereby bringing happiness.

Our natural tendency is to focus on our problems and how to solve them rather than focusing on the blessings and giving God our problems to solve.  

We’re told in Psalm 68:19 that God LOADS us DAILY with benefits. What if we stopped and really thought of our blessings for the day. This blog is called, as you probably know, Little Birdie Blessings. If I had a mission statement, part of it would be to encourage others to focus on their blessings.

We can let our troubles overcome us or we can choose to overcome them.

Life is not easy and problems face us every day. It’s often out of those struggles we find our greatest blessings.

Christian songwriter, Laura Story wrote the song Blessings during her husband’s treatment for brain cancer.  She sings what if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise.   



Have you ever thought that YOU are the blessing for someone else?
What would it take to lift someone's spirits
. . a kind word ... a smile ... a forgiving heart?
This hymn Make me a Blessing written in 1909 by Ira Wilson, pretty much sums it up:

Out in the highways and byways of life,
Many are weary and sad;
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife,
Making the sorrowing glad.

Make me a blessing, make me a blessing,
Out of my life may Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Savior, I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

And of course, don't forget the hymn Count Your Many Blessings, a favorite among my church family. (Wonder where they got that from?)



Why not start the new year with a blessings journal. Write something in it every day. Some days are harder than others to find something, but they are there. Here's a blessings journal I made some time ago covering a notebook with scrapbook paper.  I glued a couple buttons on, added a verse and some elements. Notice the little bird down in the corner.





As we approach Christmas day and a new year, join me in slowing down long enough to focus on our blessings and reflect on today's verse from Jeremiah 17:7 - Blessed is the one who TRUSTS in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. Did you get that? We place our TRUST and CONFIDENCE in HIM and he will bless us.  I know that to be true!

Thank you dear ones, you are one of my blessings.



2 comments:

  1. Yesterday I was listening to a tv pastor who said that Christians are entirely too gloomy and that we have every reason for good cheer and courage no matter what. Then he said, "I don't care if the car is broken down or the roof is leaking!" Well the car has a broken mirror and, though the roof isn't leaking, I have worried that it will. Ha! I think that I shall focus on the many blessings instead. Thanks, Abby! You are well into the home stretch now. I know that I will experience a letdown when you don't post a gift every day (just as I did last year; however, I will attempt to focus on the great blessing they have been and re-read them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Abby - yes our blessings are amazing - safe travel for one, free hospital services (on the whole) where I live to mention just two today!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.